About this book
This book, written from the perspective of a designer and educator, brings to the attention of media historians, fellow practitioners and students the innovative practices of leading moving image designers. Moving image design, whether viewed as television and movie title sequences, movie visual effects, animating infographics, branding and advertising, or as an artform, is being increasingly recognised as an important dynamic part of contemporary culture. For many practitioners this has been long overdue. Central to these designers' practice is the hydridisation of digital and heritage methods.
Using interviews with world-leading motion graphic designers, Oscar-nominated visual effects supervisors and moving image artists this book examines hybrid moving image that re-invigorate heritage practices, the handmade and the analogue crafts. Now is the time to ensure that heritage skills do not atrophy, but that their qualities and provenance are understood as potent components with digital practices in new hybrids.
Iain Macdonald is Associate Professor, Subject Group Leader of Design, Photography and Advertising, and Programme Leader for MSc Creative Advertising at Edinburgh Napier University, UK. His creative industry experience spans over 25 years as an award winning television graphic designer at BBC Television, and as a film and commercials director.
Moving image design contemporary culture digital and heritage methods media production digital technology graphic design Motion graphics branding television and media studies visual effects movie titles animation design pedagogy
- Book Title Hybrid Practices in Moving Image Design
- Book Subtitle Methods of Heritage and Digital Production in Motion Graphics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-41375-4
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2016
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Literature, Cultural and Media Studies Literature, Cultural and Media Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-41374-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-82337-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-41375-4
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 128
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 19 illustrations in colour
Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Buy this book on publisher's site