Table of contents
Turbulent Boundary Layers
Environmental Flows and Wind Energy
General Aspects of Turbulence
Four Perspectives on Big Data and the Turbulence Community
Discussion 1: Challenges in Turbulence in the Twenty-First Century—What Problems We Should Focus On in the Next 20 Years?
Discussion 2: Large Data: Opportunities for Collaborations
About this book
This volume provides a snapshot of the current and future trends in turbulence research across a range of disciplines. It provides an overview of the key challenges that face scientific and engineering communities in the context of huge databases of turbulence information currently being generated, yet poorly mined. These challenges include coherent structures and their control, wall turbulence and control, multi-scale turbulence, the impact of turbulence on energy generation and turbulence data manipulation strategies. The motivation for this volume is to assist the reader to make physical sense of these data deluges so as to inform both the research community as well as to advance practical outcomes from what is learned. Outcomes presented in this collection provide industry with information that impacts their activities, such as minimizing impact of wind farms, opportunities for understanding large scale wind events and large eddy simulation of the hydrodynamics of bays and lakes thereby increasing energy efficiencies, and minimizing emissions and noise from jet engines.
- Elucidates established, contemporary, and novel aspects of fluid turbulence - a ubiquitous yet poorly understood phenomena;
- Explores computer simulation of turbulence in the context of the emerging, unprecedented profusion of experimental data, which will need to be stewarded and archived;
- Examines a compendium of problems and issues that investigators can use to help formulate new promising research ideas;
- Makes the case for why funding agencies and scientists around the world need to lead a global effort to establish and steward large stores of turbulence data, rather than leaving them to individual researchers.
Energy & Turbulence Flow Control Passive and Active High Reynolds Number Flows Jets and Plume Turbulence Turbulence & Industrial Flows Turbulence Structure Turbulence and Big Data Manipulation Turbulent Heat Transfer
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-41217-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-41215-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-41217-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site