About this book
Focusing on electromagnetism, this third volume of a four-volume textbook covers the electric field under static conditions, constant electric currents and their laws, the magnetic field in a vacuum, electromagnetic induction, magnetic energy under static conditions, the magnetic properties of matter, and the unified description of electromagnetic phenomena provided by Maxwell’s equations.
The four-volume textbook as a whole covers electromagnetism, mechanics, fluids and thermodynamics, and waves and light, and is designed to reflect the typical syllabus during the first two years of a calculus-based university physics program.
Throughout all four volumes, particular attention is paid to in-depth clarification of conceptual aspects, and to this end the historical roots of the principal concepts are traced. Emphasis is also consistently placed on the experimental basis of the concepts, highlighting the experimental nature of physics. Whenever feasible at the elementary level, concepts relevant to more advanced courses in quantum mechanics and atomic, solid state, nuclear, and particle physics are included.
The textbook offers an ideal resource for physics students, lecturers and, last but not least, all those seeking a deeper understanding of the experimental basics of physics.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-40871-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-40870-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-40871-2
- Series Print ISSN 2192-4791
- Series Online ISSN 2192-4805
- Buy this book on publisher's site