About this book
This is the first English translation of Benedetto Cotrugli's The Book of the Art of Trade, a lively account of the life of a Mediterranean merchant in the Early Renaissance, written in 1458. The book is an impassioned defense of the legitimacy of mercantile practices, and includes the first scholarly mention of double-entry bookkeeping. Its four parts focus respectively on trading techniques, from accounting to insurance, the religion of the merchant, his public life, and family matters.
Originally handwritten, the book was printed in 1573 in Venice in an abridged and revised version. This new translation makes reference to the new critical edition, based on an earlier manuscript that has only recently been discovered.
With scholarly essays placing Cotrugli's work into historical context and highlighting key themes, this volume is an important contribution to our understanding of the origins of management and trade practices.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Benedetto Cotrugli – The Book of the Art of Trade
- Book Subtitle With Scholarly Essays from Niall Ferguson, Giovanni Favero, Mario Infelise, Tiziano Zanato and Vera Ribaudo
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-39969-0
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance Economics and Finance (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-39968-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-82004-0
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-39969-0
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 244
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
History of Economic Thought/Methodology
Political Economy/Economic Systems
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking