About this book
This book expounds on progress made over the last 35 years in the theory, synthesis, and application of triboluminescence for creating smart structures. It presents in detail the research into utilization of the triboluminescent properties of certain crystals as new sensor systems for smart engineering structures, as well as triboluminescence-based sensor systems that have the potential to enable wireless, in-situ, real time and distributed (WIRD) structural health monitoring of composite structures. The sensor component of any structural health monitoring (SHM) technology — measures the effects of the external load/event and provides the necessary inputs for appropriate preventive/corrective action to be taken in a smart structure — sits at the heart of such a system. This volume explores advances in materials properties and structural behavior underlying creation of smart composite structures and sensor systems for structural health monitoring of critical engineering structures, such as bridges, aircrafts, and wind blades.
- Compiles in one volume a collection of the most up-to-date knowledge on triboluminescence phenomenon;
- Elucidates advances in development of more-efficient (and new) triboluminescent materials and sensor system innovation;
- Presents information on triboluminescence relevant to engineers and scientists across a range of fields, including aerospace, defense, civil infrastructure, and wind energy;
- Facilitates readers’ understanding of a range of phenomena with concise treatments of topics.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-38842-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-38841-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-38842-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site