About this book
This second volume covers the mechanics of fluids, the principles of thermodynamics and their applications (without reference to the microscopic structure of systems), and the microscopic interpretation of thermodynamics.
It is part of a four-volume textbook, which covers electromagnetism, mechanics, fluids and thermodynamics, and waves and light, is designed to reflect the typical syllabus during the first two years of a calculus-based university physics program.
Throughout all four volumes, particular attention is paid to in-depth clarification of conceptual aspects, and to this end the historical roots of the principal concepts are traced. Emphasis is also consistently placed on the experimental basis of the concepts, highlighting the experimental nature of physics. Whenever feasible at the elementary level, concepts relevant to more advanced courses in quantum mechanics and atomic, solid state, nuclear, and particle physics are included. Each chapter begins with an introduction that briefly describes the subjects to be discussed and ends with a summary of the main results. A number of “Questions” are included to help readers check their level of understanding.
The textbook offers an ideal resource for physics students, lecturers and, last but not least, all those seeking a deeper understanding of the experimental basics of physics.
- Book Title A Course in Classical Physics 2—Fluids and Thermodynamics
- Series Title Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics
- Series Abbreviated Title Undergraduate Lect. Notes Physics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-30686-5
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-30685-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-30686-5
- Series ISSN 2192-4791
- Series E-ISSN 2192-4805
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 236
- Number of Illustrations 110 b/w illustrations, 1 illustrations in colour
Fluid- and Aerodynamics
- Buy this book on publisher's site