About this book
This fascinating, colourful book offers in-depth insights and first-hand working experiences in the production of art works, using simple computational models with rich morphological behaviour, at the edge of mathematics, computer science, physics and biology. It organically combines ground breaking scientific discoveries in the theory of computation and complex systems with artistic representations of the research results. In this appealing book mathematicians, computer scientists, physicists, and engineers brought together marvelous and esoteric patterns generated by cellular automata, which are arrays of simple machines with complex behavior. Configurations produced by cellular automata uncover mechanics of dynamic patterns formation, their propagation and interaction in natural systems: heart pacemaker, bacterial membrane proteins, chemical rectors, water permeation in soil, compressed gas, cell division, population dynamics, reaction-diffusion media and self-organisation.
The book inspires artists to take on cellular automata as a tool of creativity and it persuades scientists to convert their research results into the works of art.
The book is lavishly illustrated with visually attractive examples, presented in a lively and easily accessible manner.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-27270-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-27269-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-27270-2
- Series Print ISSN 2194-7287
- Series Online ISSN 2194-7295
- Buy this book on publisher's site