Table of contents
About this book
A fundamental goal of neuroscience is to understand how hormones modulate neural circuits and behavior. Hearing and Hormones reviews the growing literature showing that hormones can regulate auditory physiology and anatomy, and the perception of acoustic signals across a broad range of animal taxa, including humans.
· Hearing and Hormones: Paying Homage to the Comparative Approach by Andrew H. Bass
· Hormone-Dependent Plasticity of Auditory Systems in Fishes by Paul M. Forlano, Karen P. Maruska, Joseph A. Sisneros, and Andrew H. Bass
· Effects of Steroid Hormones on Hearing and Communication in Frogs by Walt Wilczynski and Sabrina S. Burmeister
· Modulation of Peripheral and Central Auditory Processing by Estrogens in Birds by Melissa L. Caras and Luke Remage-Healey
· Hormones and the Incentive Salience of Bird Song by Donna L. Maney and Carlos A. Rodriguez-Saltos
· Hormone-Dependent and Experience-Dependent Auditory Plasticity for Social Communication by Kelly K. Chong and Robert C. Liu
· Thyroid Hormone and the Mammalian Auditory System by Douglas Forrest and Lily Ng
· Hormone Replacement Therapy and Its Effects on Human Hearing by Robert D. Frisina and D. Robert Frisina
About the Editors:
Andrew H. Bass is Professor in the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, and Senior Associate Vice Provost for Research at Cornell University.
Joseph A. Sisneros is Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology and an adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Biology at the University of Washington.
Richard R. Fay is Distinguished Research Professor of Psychology at Loyola University Chicago.
Arthur N. Popper is Professor Emeritus and Research Professor in the Department of Biology at the University of Maryland, College Park.
About the Series:
The Springer Handbook of Auditory Research presents a series of synthetic reviews of fundamental topics dealing with auditory systems. Each volume is independent and authoritative; taken as a set, this series is the definitive resource in the field.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Hearing and Hormones
Andrew H. Bass
Joseph A. Sisneros
Arthur N. Popper
Richard R Fay
- Series Title Springer Handbook of Auditory Research
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Hdb.Auditory Res.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26597-1
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-26595-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-79976-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-26597-1
- Series ISSN 0947-2657
- Series E-ISSN 2197-1897
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 209
- Number of Illustrations 36 b/w illustrations, 32 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site