About this book
This book offers a comprehensive, university-level introduction to Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity. In addition to the purely theoretical aspect, emphasis is also given to its historical development as well as to the experiments that preceded the theory and those performed in order to test its validity.
The main body of the book consists of chapters on Relativistic Kinematics and Dynamics and their applications, Optics and Electromagnetism. These could be covered in a one-semester course. A more advanced course might include the subjects examined in the other chapters of the book and its appendices.
As a textbook, it has some unique characteristics: It provides detailed proofs of the theorems, offers abundant figures and discusses numerous examples. It also includes a number of problems for readers to solve, the complete solutions of which are given at the end of the book.
It is primarily intended for use by university students of physics, mathematics and engineering. However, as the mathematics needed is of an upper-intermediate level, the book will also appeal to a more general readership.
Compton effect Doppler effect Invariance of maxwell's equations Lorentz transformations Michelson-Morley experiment Minkowski spacetime Relativity textbook Romer's observations Sagnac effectr Tachyons Thomas precession Twin paradox Wigner rotation
- Book Title The Special Theory of Relativity
- Book Subtitle Foundations, Theory, Verification, Applications
- Series Title Undergraduate Lecture Notes in Physics
- Series Abbreviated Title Undergraduate Lect. Notes Physics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-25274-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-25272-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-25274-2
- Series ISSN 2192-4791
- Series E-ISSN 2192-4805
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVII, 480
- Number of Illustrations 130 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Additional Information Original Greek edition published by Tziolas Publications, 2014
Classical and Quantum Gravitation, Relativity Theory
Astronomy, Observations and Techniques
- Buy this book on publisher's site