About this book
This text covers the design of food processing equipment based on key unit operations, such as heating, cooling, and drying. In addition, mechanical processing operations such as separations, transport, storage, and packaging of food materials, as well as an introduction to food processes and food processing plants are discussed.
Handbook of Food Processing Equipment is an essential reference for food engineers and food technologists working in the food process industries, as well as for designers of process plants. The book also serves as a basic reference for food process engineering students.
The chapters cover engineering and economic issues for all important steps in food processing. This research is based on the physical properties of food, the analytical expressions of transport phenomena, and the description of typical equipment used in food processing. Illustrations that explain the structure and operation of industrial food processing equipment are presented.
The materials of construction and fabrication of food processing equipment are covered here, as well as the selection of the appropriate equipment for various food processing operations. Mechanical processing equipment such as size reduction, size enlargement, homogenization, and mixing are discussed. Mechanical separations equipment such as filters, centrifuges, presses, and solids/air systems, plus equipment for industrial food processing such as heat transfer, evaporation, dehydration, refrigeration, freezing, thermal processing, and dehydration, are presented. Equipment for novel food processes such as high pressure processing, are discussed. The appendices include conversion of units, selected thermophysical properties, plant utilities, and an extensive list of manufacturers and suppliers of food equipment.
Food processing Food storage Homogenization Pasteuization Food evaporation
- Book Title Handbook of Food Processing Equipment
- Series Title Food Engineering Series
- Series Abbreviated Title Food Engineering Series
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-25020-5
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Chemistry and Materials Science Chemistry and Material Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-25018-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-79720-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-25020-5
- Series ISSN 1571-0297
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XII, 775
- Number of Illustrations 345 b/w illustrations, 2 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site