About this book
This text presents a focus on the efforts of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) to broaden participation in computing of women, underrepresented minorities (especially African Americans, Hispanics, and American Indians), and people with disabilities. The work illuminates a mostly overlooked aspect of NSF’s history, and provides an historical framework to the social scientists working on current Sloan Foundation grants related to underrepresentation in computing.
Topics and features:
- Discusses the importance and extent of underrepresentation in computing
- Surveys the coevolution of computing and the NSF since the end of the Second World War
- Describes the history of NSF programs intended to broaden participation in the computing and STEM disciplines up to the present day
- Examines in detail the Alliances formed under the NSF Broadening Participation in Computing program – arguably NSF’s most successful activity in this realm
- Reviews NSF’s recent effort to revitalize formal K-12 education in the United States
- Contrasts these formal efforts with more informal startup efforts to provide informal computer education
This important study will be of great value to a broad audience including social scientists and learning scientists interested in computing, computer scientists interested in issues of education or diversity, science policymakers, and historians of science and technology.
Dr. William Aspray is the Bill and Lewis Suit Professor of Information Technologies in the School of Information at the University of Texas at Austin. His other Springer publications include Women and Underrepresented Minorities in Computing, Formal and Informal Approaches to Food Policy and Food in the Internet Age.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-24832-5
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Computer Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-24830-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-24832-5
- Series Print ISSN 2190-6831
- Series Online ISSN 2190-684X
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- IT & Software