About this book
This book is an overview of the hazards of firefighting, the health risks of exposure to combustion products that characterize firefighting, the science behind interpreting these risks for purposes of identifying diseases as work-related, and the legal and policy implications of adopting legislated "presumption" for purposes of compensation. The emphasis of the book is on the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, traumatic hazards, and disabling psychosocial adjustment following major incidents.
Those interested in this book will include scientists studying firefighters, fire service managers with responsibility for occupational health and prevention, lawyers and workers’ compensation case managers, and professionals who are retained to render opinions regarding a case or claim.
The relevance of material in this book is not limited to firefighting as an occupation. The occupational health and compensation issues in firefighting are a model for other occupations because they have been well studied and worked out. The chapters on epidemiology, interpretation of evidence, and compensation policy also apply to other occupations and compensation issues. The health risks and hazards and can be used as a model for other issues in occupational health and compensation, and hos these issues are analyzed, interpreted, and address by public policy.
Compensation Exposure Firefighters Occupational health Risk
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Health Risks and Fair Compensation in the Fire Service
Tee L. Guidotti
- Series Title Risk, Systems and Decisions
- Series Abbreviated Title Risk Systems and Decisions
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-23069-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-23068-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-36340-0
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-23069-6
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 299
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Labour Law/Social Law
- Buy this book on publisher's site