Table of contents
About this book
Maximizing reader insights into the use of thermography, specifically pulsed and pulse phase thermography (PT and PPT), for the identification of kissing defects in adhesive bonds, this thesis focuses on the application of PT and PPT for the identification of a range of defect types in a variety of materials to establish the effect of material properties on identification of defects.
Featuring analysis of a numerical model developed to simulate the thermal evolution created during a PT or PPT experiment, after validation through a series of case studies, this model is then used as a predictive tool to relate defect detectability to the thermal property contrast between defect and bulk materials.
Demonstrating a means of producing realistic kissing defects in bonded joints where insufficient thermal property contrast exists defects have a limited effect on heat propagation through a component and therefore are not detected using PT or PPT, this thesis discusses the addition of a small load to bonds containing kissing defects which was found to open the defects sufficiently to enable their detection.
A low cost infrared detector, Flir Tau320, is compared to the research based photon detector, Flir SC5000, and is shown to be suitable for application in PT, thus enabling a significantly lower cost tool to be developed.
- Book Title Development of Infrared Techniques for Practical Defect Identification in Bonded Joints
- Series Title Springer Theses
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Theses
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-22982-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Chemistry and Materials Science Chemistry and Material Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-22981-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-37377-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-22982-9
- Series ISSN 2190-5053
- Series E-ISSN 2190-5061
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXVIII, 149
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Characterization and Evaluation of Materials
Quality Control, Reliability, Safety and Risk
Surface and Interface Science, Thin Films
- Buy this book on publisher's site