About this book
The third edition of this classic text presents a complete introduction to plasma physics and controlled fusion, written by one of the pioneering scientists in this expanding field. It offers both a simple and intuitive discussion of the basic concepts of the subject matter and an insight into the challenging problems of current research. This outstanding text offers students a painless introduction to this important field; for teachers, a large collection of problems; and for researchers, a concise review of the fundamentals as well as original treatments of a number of topics never before explained so clearly.
In a wholly lucid manner the second edition covered charged-particle motions, plasmas as fluids, kinetic theory, and nonlinear effects. For the third edition, two new chapters have been added to incorporate discussion of more recent advances in the field. The new chapter 9 on Special Plasmas covers non-neutral plasmas, pure electron plasmas, solid and ultra-cold plasmas, pair-ion plasmas, dusty plasmas, helicon plasmas, atmospheric-pressure plasmas, sheath-bounded plasmas, reconnection and turbulence. Following this, chapter 10 describes Plasma Applications such as magnetic fusion (pinches, mirrors, FRCs, stellarators, tokamaks, spheromaks), plasma accelerators and FELs, inertial fusion, semiconductor etching, and spacecraft propulsion.
This new revised edition remains an essential text for those new to the field and an invaluable reference source for established researchers.
- Book Title Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-22309-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-22308-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-79391-7
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-22309-4
- Edition Number 3
- Number of Pages XII, 490
- Number of Illustrations 312 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Space Sciences (including Extraterrestrial Physics, Space Exploration and Astronautics)
- Buy this book on publisher's site