About this book
This book explores the risk and protective factors of rural life and minority status for youth and their families. It provides innovative perspectives on well-documented developmental challenges (e.g., poverty and lack of resources) as well as insights into the benefits of familial and cultural strengths. Coverage includes recent theories in child development, empirical studies of rural minority populations, and leading-edge interventions for urgent issues. The volume presents a spectrum of opportunities for understanding and providing services for youth in the United States through the lens of a diverse collection of ethnic minority experiences in rural settings.
Topics featured in this volume include:
- Theoretical models focused on the intersection of ethnicity and rural settings.
- Family processes, child care, and early schooling in rural minority families.
- Promising strategies for conducting research with rural minority families.
- Strengths-based educational interventions in rural settings.
- Promoting supportive contexts for minority youth in low-resource rural communities.
Rural Ethnic Minority Youth and Families in the United States is a valuable resource for researchers and professors, clinicians and related professionals, and graduate students across such disciplines as clinical child, school, and developmental psychology, family studies, social work, and public health.
“Bringing together cutting-edge scholarship in this watershed publication, Crockett and Carlo provide a singularly important foundation for future research seeking to describe, explain, and optimize the strengths of these still relatively understudied youth.”
Richard M. Lerner
Bergstrom Chair in Applied Developmental Science
Director, Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development
“The authors integrate long-standing ideas about rural settings and contemporary knowledge about ethnic minority status to present a long overdue treatment of the development of ethnic minority youth in rural America. This volume sheds light on an understudied and neglected segment of the American population.”
Andrew J. Fuligni
University of California, Los Angeles
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Rural Ethnic Minority Youth and Families in the United States
- Book Subtitle Theory, Research, and Applications
Lisa J. Crockett
- Series Title Advancing Responsible Adolescent Development
- Series Abbreviated Title Advs Responsible Adolescent Devel.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-20976-0
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-20975-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-37151-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-20976-0
- Series ISSN 2195-089X
- Series E-ISSN 2195-0903
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XV, 297
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Child and School Psychology
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals