Table of contents
About this book
This book explores the two major elements of Hintikka’s model of inquiry: underlying game theoretical motivations, and the central role of questioning. The chapters build on the Hintikkan tradition extending Hintikka’s model and present a wide variety of approaches to the philosophy of inquiry from different directions, ranging from erotetic logic to Lakatosian philosophy, from socio-epistemologic approaches to strategic reasoning and mathematical practice.
Hintikka's theory of inquiry is a well-known example of a dynamic epistemic procedure. In an interrogative inquiry, the inquirer is given a theory and a question. He then tries to answer the question based on the theory by posing questions to nature or an oracle. The initial formulation of this procedure by Hintikka is rather broad and informal. This volume introduces a carefully selected responses to the issues discussed by Hintikka.
The articles in the volume were contributed by various authors associated with a research project on Hintikka's interrogative theory of inquiry conducted in the Institut d’Histoire et de Philosophie des Sciences et des Techniques (IHPST) of Paris, including those who visited to share their insight.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Perspectives on Interrogative Models of Inquiry
- Book Subtitle Developments in Inquiry and Questions
- Series Title Logic, Argumentation & Reasoning
- Series Abbreviated Title Log., Argum. Ration.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-20762-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-20761-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-38729-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-20762-9
- Series ISSN 2214-9120
- Series E-ISSN 2214-9139
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VII, 197
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Mathematical Logic and Formal Languages
- Buy this book on publisher's site