About this book
The fourteen award-winning essays in this volume discuss a range of novel ideas and controversial topics that could decisively influence the course of human life on Earth. Their authors address, in accessible language, issues as diverse as: enabling our social systems to learn; research in biological engineering and artificial intelligence; mending and enhancing minds; improving the way we do, and teach, science; living in the here and now; and the value of play.
The essays are enhanced versions of the prize-winning entries submitted to the Foundational Questions Institute (FQXi) essay competition in 2014. FQXi, catalyzes, supports, and disseminates research on questions at the foundations of physics and cosmology, particularly new frontiers and innovative ideas integral to a deep understanding of reality, but unlikely to be supported by conventional funding sources.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title How Should Humanity Steer the Future?
- Series Title The Frontiers Collection
- Series Abbreviated Title Frontiers Collection
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-20717-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy Physics and Astronomy (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-20716-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-37340-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-20717-9
- Series ISSN 1612-3018
- Series E-ISSN 2197-6619
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 175
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Societal Aspects of Physics, Outreach and Education
Philosophy of Technology
Popular Science in Education
- Buy this book on publisher's site