Table of contents
About this book
This book is about the consequences of the Fukushima disaster in light of their technological, societal, political, cultural, and environmental origins. The magnitude of the nuclear accident is investigated in this book in the contexts of politics, economy, and society. The authors scrutinize the relationships between science, technology, and society leading to this accident. Further, the authors reveal how these relationships were constructed historically.
This book provides a case analysis on the Fukushima disaster in political, societal, economic and cultural dimensions. In addition, analyses for historically grown relationships between different societal spheres mouthing into disasters are presented using examples of the Minamata disease (Mercury pollution), Itai-Itai Disease (Cadmium pollution), BSE, and GMOs.
With this book, Yuko Fujigaki achieves to connect local and cultural peculiarities with generalized scientific information and practices in a coherent, logical fashion to a comprehensive volume on a very actual topic of global significance. In light of a globally increasing energy gap, this book has a distinct global relevance, providing an honest account on different triggers mouthing into the nuclear disaster. This book not only gives a scientific account. It also can also contribute to prevent future disasters starting from similar vectors.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Lessons From Fukushima
- Book Subtitle Japanese Case Studies on Science, Technology and Society
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-15353-7
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-15352-0
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-35178-0
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-15353-7
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 242
- Number of Illustrations 9 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Effects of Radiation/Radiation Protection
Waste Water Technology / Water Pollution Control / Water Management / Aquatic Pollution
- Buy this book on publisher's site