About this book
This book presents the state-of-the-art knowledge on bamboo. It starts with an introduction to the plant’s biology, its taxonomy, habitat, morphology and growth. The cultivation of bamboo is discussed in terms of silviculture, pests and diseases, and harvesting techniques. The book is completed by a comprehensive presentation of the properties of bamboo, its utilization and its preservation.
Bamboo is the fastest-growing and most versatile plant on Earth. For centuries it has played an indispensible part in the daily life of millions of people in tropical countries. In recent decades it has gained increasing importance as a substitute for timber.
The book was developed as a reference text for scientists, professionals, and graduate students with a strong interest in this unique plant.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Bamboo
- Book Subtitle The Plant and its Uses
- Series Title Tropical Forestry
- Series Abbreviated Title Tropical Forestry
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-14133-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-14132-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-38597-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-14133-6
- Series ISSN 1614-9785
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages IX, 356
- Number of Illustrations 34 b/w illustrations, 122 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“Prof. Liese has bundled in this book much of his knowledge from 60 years of research on bamboo, from research on the anatomical structure of bamboo to better understand how to use bamboo and to develop treatments. … Bamboo – the plant and its uses is such a landmark book, and at the same time Prof. Liese’s legacy, and should be recommend to everyone involved in bamboo research.” (Johan Gielis, Bamboo, Vol. 36 (4), August, 2015)