Table of contents
About this book
This book looks at causative reasons behind creative acts and stylistic expressions. It explores how creativity is initiated by design cognition and explains relationships between style and creativity. The book establishes a new cognitive theory of style and creativity in design and provides designers with insights into their own cognitive processes and styles of thinking, supporting a better understanding of the qualities present in their own design.
An explanation of the nature of design cognition begins this work, with a look at how design knowledge is formulated, developed, structured and utilized, and how this utilization triggers style and creativity. The author goes on to review historical studies of style, considering a series of psychological experiments relating to the operational definition, degree, measurement, and creation of style. The work conceptually summarizes the recognition of individual style in products, as well as the creation of such styles as a process before reviewing studies on creativity from various disciplines, presenting case studies and reviewing works by master architects.
Readers will discover how creativity is initiated by design cognition. A summary of the correlations between creativity and style, expressed as a conceptual formula describing the cognitive phenomenon of style and creativity concludes the work. The ideas presented here are applicable to all design fields, allowing designers to comprehend and improve their design processes to produce creative, stylistically unique products.
- Book Title Style and Creativity in Design
- Series Title Studies in Applied Philosophy, Epistemology and Rational Ethics
- Series Abbreviated Title Studies Applied Philosophy, Epistemology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-14017-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-14016-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-38379-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-14017-9
- Series ISSN 2192-6255
- Series E-ISSN 2192-6263
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 331
- Number of Illustrations 64 b/w illustrations, 58 illustrations in colour
Architectural History and Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site