Table of contents
About this book
This volume examines key aspects of the migration process that are particularly relevant in the Asian context. It looks into established concepts and theoretical propositions that have found application in other areas, particularly in the West and explores their validity and relevance in understanding the realities of migration in Asia.
Global and Asian Perspectives on International Migration features the perspectives of scholars from Asia and other parts of the world, as well as diverse backgrounds. It presents a variety of forms, directions, policies and institutions, including circular and temporary migration; the management of cultural diversity; the gender perspective on migration in North America, Europe and Asia; returning migrants; migration governance in the ASEAN economic community; and the determinants of migration. In conclusion, the book explores migration transition in Asia and revisits select theories in light of recent evidence.
With its dialogic approach to migration in Asia by renowned authors from various regions and disciplines, this book will serve as a valuable resource to policy makers in research and academia, civil society, international organizations and the private sector.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Global and Asian Perspectives on International Migration
- Series Title Global Migration Issues
- Series Abbreviated Title Global Migration Issues
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-08317-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-08316-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-37895-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-08317-9
- Series ISSN 2213-2511
- Series E-ISSN 2213-252X
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages IX, 266
- Number of Illustrations 7 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“Chapters also offer the reader a useful lens through which to view and understand existing theoretical perspectives in a complementary manner, in light of recent empirical migratory phenomena. … Global and Asian Perspectives on International Migration is a capacious volume that is highly theoretically focused; this work enters the fray by presenting new areas for theoretically-led empirical research in a thought-provoking manner.” (John Lowe, Asian and Pacific Migration Journal, Vol. 24 (4), 2015)