Table of contents
What Constitutes Health, Cognition, and Well-Being in Old Age from a Biomedical Perspective?
What Constitutes Health and Cognition in Old Age from a Life-Course Perspective?
Promoting Health, Cognition, and Well-Being in Old Age Through Care and Interventions
How to Ensure Healthy and Active Aging Through Policy and Practice
About this book
In recent years, the aim of research on aging has shifted from prolonging life to fostering healthy and cognitively robust old age. In order to improve the quality of life of older people, we need to better understand cognitive aging as well as bodily aging.
Health and Cognition in Old Age assembles the cream of research across varied medical, mental health, and social disciplines, and demonstrates how this knowledge can lead to improved outcomes for older people. The first half of this expert volume discusses biomedical and life course factors in aging, particularly as they affect cognition and well-being in later life. From there, effective solutions are the focus: interventions and care programs to improve mental functioning and general quality of life, and current policy and practice ideas in promoting healthy, active, and cognitively robust aging. Together, these diverse chapters offer a multi-faceted approach to understanding and modifying what was formerly the inevitable course of growing old. A sampling of the coverage:
- How the aging process affects the immune system.
- Occupational gerontology – work-related determinants of old age health and functioning.
- Social, behavioral, and contextual influences on cognitive function and decline.
- Lifestyle factors in the prevention of dementia.
- Understanding long-term care outcomes: conventional and behavioral economics.
- Social capital, mental well-being, and loneliness in older people.
For gerontologists, sociologists, social workers, health psychologists, and others working to improve older people’s lives, Health and Cognition in Old Age brings expertise, versatility, and confidence to the table.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-06650-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-06649-3
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-06650-9
- Series Print ISSN 2197-5841
- Series Online ISSN 2197-585X
- Buy this book on publisher's site