About this book
In this book, fundamental methods of nonlinear analysis are introduced, discussed and illustrated in straightforward examples. Each method considered is motivated and explained in its general form, but presented in an abstract framework as comprehensively as possible. A large number of methods are applied to boundary value problems for both ordinary and partial differential equations. In this edition we have made minor revisions, added new material and organized the content slightly differently.
In particular, we included evolutionary equations and differential equations on manifolds. The applications to partial differential equations follow every abstract framework of the method in question.
The text is structured in two levels: a self-contained basic level and an advanced level - organized in appendices - for the more experienced reader. The last chapter contains more involved material and can be skipped by those new to the field. This book serves as both a textbook for graduate-level courses and a reference book for mathematicians, engineers and applied scientists.
- Book Title Methods of Nonlinear Analysis
- Book Subtitle Applications to Differential Equations
- Series Title Birkhäuser Advanced Texts Basler Lehrbücher
- Series Abbreviated Title Birkhäuser Advanced Texts(Birkhäuser)
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-0348-0387-8
- Copyright Information Birkhäuser Basel 2013
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser, Basel
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-0348-0386-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-0348-0759-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-0348-0387-8
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages X, 649
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Partial Differential Equations
Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control; Optimization
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews of the second edition:“The book is sufficiently wide-ranging to offer a panorama over nonlinear analysis and its applications to differential equations, and, at the same time, sufficiently structured and organized in order to allow the reader to easily access a specific topic in this broad domain of mathematics. Certainly, undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers in pure and applied mathematics will find that the book is a useful field guide providing excellent motivation for study and inspiration for new contributions and applications.” (Radu Precup, Zentralblatt MATH, Vol. 1264, 2013)