About this book
Malaria has defeated previous efforts at eradication and remains a massive global public health problem despite being readily preventable and treatable. It is a devastating disease that also extracts huge economic costs from the poorest countries in endemic regions.
Starting with an overview of the disease and its current political, financial and technical context, this Milestones in Drug Therapy volume describes the history, chemistry, mechanisms of action and resistance, preclinical and clinical use, pharmacokinetics and safety and tolerability of the current range of antimalarial drugs. There is particular emphasis on artemisinins and related peroxides, as these drugs have now become the frontline treatment for malaria. Next generation antimalarials, molecular markers for detecting resistance, the importance of diagnostics and disease prevention are also covered in detail.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-0346-0480-2
- Copyright Information Springer Basel AG 2012
- Publisher Name Springer, Basel
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-0346-0479-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-0346-0480-2
- Buy this book on publisher's site