About this book
This is the first systematic account of the main results in the theory of lightlike submanifolds of semi-Riemannian manifolds which have a geometric structure, such as almost Hermitian, almost contact metric or quaternion Kähler. Using these structures, the book presents interesting classes of submanifolds whose geometry is very rich.
The book also includes hypersurfaces of semi-Riemannian manifolds, their use in general relativity and Osserman geometry, half-lightlike submanifolds of semi-Riemannian manifolds, lightlike submersions, screen conformal submersions, and their applications in harmonic maps.
Basic constructions and definitions are presented as preliminary background in every chapter. The presentation explores applications and suggests several open questions.
This self-contained monograph provides up-to-date research in lightlike geometry and is intended for graduate students and researchers just entering this field.
- Book Title Differential Geometry of Lightlike Submanifolds
- Series Title Frontiers in Mathematics
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-0346-0251-8
- Copyright Information Birkhäuser Basel 2010
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser Basel
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-0346-0250-1
- eBook ISBN 978-3-0346-0251-8
- Series ISSN 1660-8046
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages , 488
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
From the reviews:“It provides a reasonably self-contained and very comprehensive account of all aspects of the subject. … The book contains more than 400 references to the literature, as well as a wealth of applications to physics (general relativity). Written by two of the main contributors to the field this comprehensive presentation is certain to be the standard work for the foreseeable future.” (M. Kunzinger, Monatshefte für Mathematik, Vol. 167 (1), July, 2012)