Table of contents
About this book
This book offers a comparative analysis of traditional Asian legal systems. It combines methods from legal history, legal anthropology, legal philosophy, and substantive law, pursuing a comprehensive approach that offers readers a broad perspective on the topic. The geographic regions covered include the Near East, Middle East, Central Asia, India, China, Japan, and Southeast Asia.
For each region, the book first provides historical and political context. Next, it discusses major milestones in the region’s legal history and political institutions, as well as its forms of government. Readers are then presented with fundamental principles and terms needed to understand the legal arguments discussed.
The book begins with the Ancient Near East and important topics such as Jewish law. The next part considers Islamic law, while also exploring modern issues. The third part focuses on Hindu and Buddhist law, while the fourth part covers China and Japan. The book’s closing section examines tribal societies, e.g. Mongols, Pashtuns and Malays.
Topics covered include the interaction of legal systems within a legal circle, inter-systemic interactions, reasons for the failure and success of legal modernization, legal pluralism, and its effects on Asian societies. Family law, law of obligation, criminal law, and procedural law are also explored.
- Book Title Legal Traditions in Asia
- Book Subtitle History, Concepts and Laws
- Series Title Ius Gentium: Comparative Perspectives on Law and Justice
- Series Abbreviated Title Ius Gentium
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43728-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Law and Criminology Law and Criminology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-43727-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-43730-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-43728-2
- Series ISSN 1534-6781
- Series E-ISSN 2214-9902
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 496
- Number of Illustrations 2 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Private International Law, International & Foreign Law, Comparative Law
Theories of Law, Philosophy of Law, Legal History
Social Aspects of Religion
- Buy this book on publisher's site