About this book
This book argues for the importance of connectedness in student-teacher relationships during adolescence and advocates a more holistic and proactive approach to wellbeing in education. Combining education, psychology and health promotion perspectives, the book begins by providing an overview of theoretical frameworks in the study of student-teacher relationships and makes the case that good relationships with teachers are essential to students’ well-being in school. The book then goes on to present the concept of connectedness and discusses the main challenges regarding its conceptualisation in school research.
García-Moya draws on qualitative findings from the Teacher Connectedness Project to offer an in-depth examination of the central attributes of student-teacher connectedness, as well as of the links between connectedness and authority from both students’ and teachers’ perspectives. This innovative project uses a synergistic approach to investigate the role of teachers as potential significant adults in students’ lives. The final chapter offers a summary of the key practical implications for teachers and educators and makes recommendations for future research directions in this area.
This book will be a valuable resource for researchers and educators alike, as well as for anyone interested in the ongoing concerns about student wellbeing in schools.
- Book Title The Importance of Connectedness in Student-Teacher Relationships
- Book Subtitle Insights from the Teacher Connectedness Project
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-43446-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-43445-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-43446-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIII, 114
- Number of Illustrations 2 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Child and School Psychology
Personality and Social Psychology
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals