Table of contents
About this book
This book provides a novel approach to building pathology in current buildings. Drawing on the available literature, hands-on experience and fieldwork inspections, it presents a systematic perspective on the pathology of the building envelope. The book addresses natural stone claddings, adhesive ceramic tiling, renders, painted surfaces, External Thermal Insulation Composite Systems (ETICS), architectural concrete surfaces, windows and doors framing, and claddings for pitched and flat roofs.
In addition to highlighting selected materials and construction elements, the book proposes a global classification system for defects and their probable causes, together with in situ diagnosis methods and repair techniques. It also identifies the relationships between defects and causes, diagnosis methods and repair techniques, and the interdependence between different defects, presenting these relations in the form of correlation matrices. Support files with detailed information and an inspection form are also provided.
Selected case studies are presented to illustrate the value of a guidance system in fieldwork. Given its scope, the book offers a valuable guide, particularly for researchers, building inspectors, civil engineers, architects and maintenance planners.
- Book Title Expert Knowledge-based Inspection Systems
- Book Subtitle Inspection, Diagnosis, and Repair of the Building Envelope
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-42446-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-42445-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-42448-0
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-42446-6
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXXI, 469
- Number of Illustrations 44 b/w illustrations, 197 illustrations in colour
Building Repair and Maintenance
Building Construction and Design
- Buy this book on publisher's site