About this book
This book is designed to aid the faculty of medical and other health related schools in developing the pedagogical skills to transform their teaching in multiple settings including the classroom, the conference room, the ambulatory office, and the hospital from a passive learning experience to an active learning experience. In this transformation, the teacher morphs from the ‘all knowing expert’ to the ‘learning facilitator and coach’. After a brief review of adult learning theory the remainder of the book will focus on a broad variety of teaching techniques and classroom activities that ‘flip’ the classroom from a passive to an active learning environment. In addition to condensed explanations of each of the techniques, examples of each process will be presented with suggestions for flexing the techniques to better accommodate a variety of learning settings and a diversity of learners.
- Edited and written by active educators practicing in various fields, providing diverse perspectives on the broad range of methods of active learning.
- Provides practical examples to implement various methods of active learning.
- Presents flexible techniques to complement the discussion of teaching elements and components.
Medical school education Active learning Learning objectives Group learning Student-centered learning approach Flipped classroom Constructivist learning theory Guided peer-interaction Positive learning environment Teaching patient-centered care Experiential learning Medical humanities Inter-professional collaboration Reciprocal peer teaching (RPT) Neer peer teaching (NPT) Cross Cultural Medicine Formative assessment Summative assessment Ethical teaching
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Active Education for Future Doctors
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-41780-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Education Education (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-41779-6
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-41782-6
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-41780-2
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 181
- Number of Illustrations 7 b/w illustrations, 10 illustrations in colour
Learning & Instruction
- Buy this book on publisher's site