About this book
This brief examines the U.S. foster care system and seeks to explain why the foster care system functions as it does and how it can be improved to serve the best interest of children. It defines and evaluates key challenges that undermine child safety and well-being in the current foster care system. Chapters highlight the competing values and priorities of the system as well as the pros and cons for the use of foster care. In addition, chapters assess whether the performance objectives in which states are evaluated by the federal government are sufficient to achieve positive health and well-being outcomes for children who experience foster care. Finally, it offers recommendations for improving the system and maximizing positive outcomes.
Topics featured in this brief include:
- Legal aspects of removal and placement of children in foster care.
- The effectiveness of prior efforts to reform foster care.
- The regulation and quality of foster homes.
- Support for youth aging out of the foster care system.
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the foster care system.
Foster Care and the Best Interests of the Child is a must-have resource for policy makers and related professionals, graduate students, and researchers in child and school psychology, family studies, public health, social work, law/criminal justice, and sociology.
- Book Title Foster Care and Best Interests of the Child
- Book Subtitle Integrating Research, Policy, and Practice
- Series Title SpringerBriefs in Psychology
- Series Abbreviated Title SpringerBriefs in Psychology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-41146-6
- Copyright Information The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-41145-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-41146-6
- Series ISSN 2192-8363
- Series E-ISSN 2192-8371
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIX, 103
- Number of Illustrations 2 b/w illustrations, 3 illustrations in colour
Child and School Psychology
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Health & Hospitals
“This book is very good because it provides a brief summary of the foster care system in the United States and improvements that can be made. … Readers will be pleasantly surprised by how the book will provoke discussion and hopefully result in positive changes in a system that is currently overwhelmed in many states.” (Gary B Kaniuk, Doody's Book Reviews, September 25, 2020)