About this book
The book provides a broad introduction to both the theory and the application of optimization with a special emphasis on the elegance, importance, and usefulness of the parametric self-dual simplex method. The book assumes that a problem in “standard form,” is a problem with inequality constraints and nonnegative variables. The main new innovation to the book is the use of clickable links to the (newly updated) online app to help students do the trivial but tedious arithmetic when solving optimization problems.
The latest edition now includes: a discussion of modern Machine Learning applications, as motivational material; a section explaining Gomory Cuts and an application of integer programming to solve Sudoku problems. Readers will discover a host of practical business applications as well as non-business applications. Topics are clearly developed with many numerical examples worked out in detail. Specific examples and concrete algorithms precede more abstract topics.
With its focus on solving practical problems, the book features free C programs to implement the major algorithms covered, including the two-phase simplex method, the primal-dual simplex method, the path-following interior-point method, and and the homogeneous self-dual method. In addition, the author provides online tools that illustrate various pivot rules and variants of the simplex method, both for linear programming and for network flows. These C programs and online pivot tools can be found on the book's website. The website also includes new online instructional tools and exercises.
- Book Title Linear Programming
- Book Subtitle Foundations and Extensions
- Series Title International Series in Operations Research & Management Science
- Series Abbreviated Title Int.Ser.Operations Res.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-39415-8
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Business and Management Business and Management (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-39414-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-39417-2
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-39415-8
- Series ISSN 0884-8289
- Series E-ISSN 2214-7934
- Edition Number 5
- Number of Pages XXV, 471
- Number of Illustrations 73 b/w illustrations, 109 illustrations in colour
Operations Research/Decision Theory
Software Engineering/Programming and Operating Systems
- Buy this book on publisher's site