Table of contents
About this book
In recent years, several scientific papers have highlighted the role of the thyroid system in cardioprotection, and several clinical studies – including multicenter studies – have identified the role of thyroid hormones (TH) in the development and progression of cardiovascular disease, making an update of TH and heart relationship both necessary and timely.
This second edition of Thyroid and Heart failure provides a careful and updated review of the experimental, clinical and epidemiological results in the field of TH and heart failure, with a particular focus on the translational - bench to bedside - significance of the obtained results. It discusses topics such as the molecular, structural, functional, cellular and histological cardiac changes; the reversibility of these changes with TH replacement therapy; the systemic effects – kidney, hormonal pathways systems, brain, muscle, etc – of altered TH metabolism in HF, as well as the clinical and prognostic implications. The section devoted to the potential therapeutic treatments has been expanded.
Thanks to its translational approach to this highly complex subject, the book will be of interest to a broad readership, including cardiologists, endocrinologists and internists.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Thyroid and Heart
- Book Subtitle A Comprehensive Translational Essay
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-36871-5
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-36870-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-36873-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-36871-5
- Edition Number 2
- Number of Pages XIII, 436
- Number of Illustrations 20 b/w illustrations, 43 illustrations in colour
General Practice / Family Medicine
- Buy this book on publisher's site