About this book
This richly illustrated book discusses the fetal eye, offering a brief introduction to the topic and discussing its development and treatment. The high-quality reference images allow the morphological fetal age to be determined, and the authors provide examples of artifacts and real-world findings to simplify histopathological diagnosis. The book also discusses findings in fetal eyes, presenting typical examples of common malformations, including clinical and histological pictures as well as additional findings from other specialties (such as neuropathology, genetics). In addition, it covers non-specific ocular malformations. It particularly addresses documentation and interpretation of cases of suspected Shaken-Baby Syndrome, which is of forensic importance. In the context of retinopathy of prematurity, histopathological and clinical findings are correlated.
The book provides reference images of fetal development and guidelines on grossing and handling fetal eyes, and also explores the complicated topic of artifacts, including case illustrations with comprehensive information concerning other specialties. Lastly it discusses clinically and forensically relevant findings in newborns. It guides ophthalmic and pediatric pathologists in the interpretation of ocular findings, helping to narrow down differential diagnoses in fetal pathology, while at the same time serving as a valuable tool for specialists who do not have a great deal of experience in the examination of fetal eyes.
- Book Title Fetal and Neonatal Eye Pathology
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-36079-5
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-36078-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-36081-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-36079-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 177
- Number of Illustrations 4 b/w illustrations, 203 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site