About this book
This pivot provides a conceptual statement of an approach to understanding the interrelationships of work, leisure, and “chore” activities in daily life, and how they are managed in practice.
Drawing on the sociology of everyday life, Stebbins puts forward the notion of Pondering Everyday Life (PEA), a thinking process/activity in which we routinely understand, coordinate, organize, remember, and compare our involvements in work, leisure, and non-work obligations. This perspective demonstrates how the interrelation between these three domains helps bring meaning and continuity to everyday life. As a micro- and meso-level conception that takes into account social, cultural and historic context, Stebbins contemplates how and what PEA can tell us about an individual’s view of their own life.
Pondering Everyday Life will be of interest to students and scholars across leisure studies, social psychology, and the sociology of leisure and work.
- Book Title Pondering Everyday Life
- Book Subtitle Coordination, Continuity, and Comparison
- Series Title Leisure Studies in a Global Era
- Series Abbreviated Title Leisure Studies in a Global Era
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-35922-5
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-35921-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-35924-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-35922-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VII, 89
- Number of Illustrations 1 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Sociology of Sport and Leisure
Sociology of Family, Youth and Aging
Sociology of Work
- Buy this book on publisher's site