Table of contents
About this book
There is a profound structural connection between minorities and the current rise of populism in India and Europe. But there remains a deep perplexity and also anxiety: Does the presence of minorities necessarily have to trigger majoritarian policies? Are there no solutions to this dilemma? Many observers considered multicultural policies and affirmative action programs in India as a possible model for Europe to adopt in order to achieve greater integration. But eventually they seem to have failed. Why so? Are multiculturalism and the recognition of differences still options today? On the other hand, most scholars in India typically reject the European model of liberal democracy and secularism as impracticable in India and locate the reason for the current malaise in the west. But is liberal democracy really so bad in dealing with pluralism?
This volume, collecting a selection of the Reset DOC Venice-Padua-Delhi dialogue series, is going to answer two fundamental questions. First, what precisely is the nexus between minorities and populism in South Asia and Europe? Starting from those case studies, the authors will also draw some general theoretical inferences about the nature of populism. Secondly, given the dangers of populism for minorities, the volume will look for the most adequate and feasible solutions.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Minorities and Populism – Critical Perspectives from South Asia and Europe
- Series Title Philosophy and Politics - Critical Explorations
- Series Abbreviated Title Philosophy, Politics - Critical Explorat.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-34098-8
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-34097-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-34100-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-34098-8
- Series ISSN 2352-8370
- Series E-ISSN 2352-8389
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIII, 286
- Number of Illustrations 5 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site