Table of contents
About this book
This monograph examines the failure of the Portuguese Escudo Monetary Zone and the birth of new monetary and financial systems in Portuguese-speaking African countries. Examining colonial and post-colonial times, Mata analyses the decision to build a Portuguese monetary area in the early 1960s and mid-1970s when the decolonisation process was peaking.
This book offers some important lessons regarding the functioning and dismantling of monetary areas, and on the importance of central-banks’ co-operation.
Economic history Portuguese Escudo Monetary Zone Colonial African economic history Post-colonial African economic history Monetary reform Portuguese economic history Portuguese colonies Central banking history
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-33857-2
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-33856-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-33857-2
- Series Print ISSN 2662-6497
- Series Online ISSN 2662-6500
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking