About this book
This edited volume collects essays on the four-valued logic known as Belnap-Dunn logic, or first-degree entailment logic (FDE). It also looks at various formal systems closely related to it. These include the strong Kleene logic and the Logic of Paradox. Inside, readers will find reprints of seminal papers written by the fathers of the field: Nuel Belnap and Michael Dunn. In addition, the collection also features a well-known but previously unpublished manuscript of Dunn, an interview with Belnap, and a new essay by Dunn.
Besides the original, monumental papers, the book also includes research by leading scholars. They consider the extraordinary importance of Belnap-Dunn logic from several perspectives. They look at how, philosophically, it has served as a basic system of inconsistency-tolerant reasoning, as the core of underlying logics for theories based on dialetheism, and, more recently, for theories based on Buddhist philosophy. Coverage also explores its contributions to computer science, such as knowledge representation and information processing.
This mix of seminal papers and insightful analysis by top scholars offers readers a comprehensive outlook on Belnap-Dunn logic and its related expansions, which have been agenda setting for the debate on philosophical logic as well as philosophy of logic. The book will also enhance further discussion on the philosophical issues related to nonclassical logics in general.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title New Essays on Belnap-Dunn Logic
- Series Title Synthese Library
- Series Abbreviated Title Synthese Library
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-31136-0
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-31135-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-31138-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-31136-0
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 324
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Mathematical Logic and Formal Languages
Mathematical Logic and Foundations
- Buy this book on publisher's site