About this book
This book introduces the reader to the most important concepts and problems in the field of ℓ²-invariants. After some foundational material on group von Neumann algebras, ℓ²-Betti numbers are defined and their use is illustrated by several examples. The text continues with Atiyah's question on possible values of ℓ²-Betti numbers and the relation to Kaplansky's zero divisor conjecture. The general definition of ℓ²-Betti numbers allows for applications in group theory. A whole chapter is dedicated to Lück's approximation theorem and its generalizations. The final chapter deals with ℓ²-torsion, twisted variants and the conjectures relating them to torsion growth in homology.
The text provides a self-contained treatment that constructs the required specialized concepts from scratch. It comes with numerous exercises and examples, so that both graduate students and researchers will find it useful for self-study or as a basis for an advanced lecture course.
ℓ ²-invariants ℓ ²-Betti Numbers ℓ ²-torsion Lück Approximation Torsion Growth
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-28297-4
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-28296-7
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-28297-4
- Series Print ISSN 0075-8434
- Series Online ISSN 1617-9692
- Buy this book on publisher's site