This book describes and analyzes in detail the encoding effort and the encoding tool usage applied to 3D-HEVC depth map coding. Based on the analyzed information, the authors introduce efficient algorithms for accelerating the available encoding tools. The contributions discussed in this book include four algorithms for reducing intra-frame encoding effort and three algorithms for reducing inter-frame encoding effort. The presented results demonstrate several levels of encoding effort reduction with different impacts in the encoding efficiency, surpassing state-of-the-art solutions by more than 50% the encoding effort with only 0.3% encoding efficiency loss.
- Offers readers a broad description of the new encoding tools used in 3D-HEVC depth map coding;
- Includes an overview of the state-of-the-art works on encoding effort reduction for 3D-HEVC depth map coding;
- Provides a detailed statistical analysis of the encoding effort in 3D-HEVC depth map encoding;
- Describes four encoding effort reduction algorithms for depth map intra-frame prediction;
- Includes three encoding effort reduction algorithms for depth map inter-frame prediction.