About this book
This book studies the cultural, societal, and ideological factors absent from popular discourse on Vladimir Putin’s Russia, contesting the misleading mainstream assumption that Putin is the all-powerful sovereign of Russia. In carefully examining the ideological underpinnings of Putinism—its tsarist and Soviet elements, its intellectual origins, its culturally reproductive nature, and its imperialist foreign policy—the authors reveal that an indoctrinating ideology and a willing population are simultaneously the most crucial yet overlooked keys to analyzing Putin’s totalitarian democracy. Because Putinism is part of a global wave of extreme political movements, the book also reaffirms the need to understand—but not accept—how and why nation-states and masses turn to nationalism, authoritarianism, or totalitarianism in modern times.
Kate C. Langdon is an Erasmus Mundus scholar. She studied at Vassar College in New York and Charles University in Prague.
Vladimir Tismaneanu is Professor in the Department of Government and Politics at the University of Maryland, College Park, and a Global Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, USA.
Vladimir Putin Russian and post-Soviet studies authoritarian studies myth of personality ideology
- Book Title Putin’s Totalitarian Democracy
- Book Subtitle Ideology, Myth, and Violence in the Twenty-First Century
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-20579-9
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-20578-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-20581-2
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-20579-9
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XI, 248
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Russian and Post-Soviet Politics
Legislative and Executive Politics
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking