About this book
This book provides a concise introduction to continuum mechanics, with a particular emphasis on fluid dynamics, suitable for upper undergraduate students in applied mathematics and related subjects.
Starting with a preliminary chapter on tensors, the main topic of the book begins in earnest with the chapters on continuum kinematics and dynamics. Following chapters cover linear elasticity and both incompressible and compressible fluids. Special topics of note include nonlinear acoustics and the theory of motion of viscous thermal conducting compressible fluids.
Based on an undergraduate course taught for over a decade, this textbook assumes only familiarity with multivariate calculus and linear algebra. It includes many exercises with solutions and can serve as textbook for lecture courses at the undergraduate and masters level.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-19297-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-19296-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-19297-6
- Series Print ISSN 1615-2085
- Series Online ISSN 2197-4144
- Buy this book on publisher's site