About this book
This book consists of short descriptions of 106 mathematical theorems, which belong to the great achievements of 21st century mathematics but require relatively little mathematical background to understand their formulation and appreciate their importance.
The selected theorems of this volume, chosen from the famous Annals of Mathematics journal, cover a broad range of topics from across mathematics. Each theorem description is essentially self-contained, can be read independently of the others, and requires as little preliminary knowledge as possible. Although the sections often start with an informal discussion and toy examples, all the necessary definitions are included and each description culminates in the precise formulation of the corresponding theorem.
Filling the gap between surveys written for mathematicians and popular mathematics, this book is intended for readers with a keen interest in contemporary mathematics.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-19096-5
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-19095-8
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-19096-5
- Buy this book on publisher's site