Table of contents
About this book
This book examines entomovectoring, which employs crop pollinators to spread biocontrol protections against plant pathogens. The book describes research and development of the process, also known as apivectoring and beevectoring, for use both in pollination and in the delivery of biocontrol agents against crop and pollinator diseases, pests, and parasites.
The opening chapters show how design of agrosystems can support the activity of pollinator networks, and describe bee pollination as a natural and cost-free ecological service. Individual chapters cover bumble bees and solitary bees as pollinators.
The book outlines ways that entomovectoring can be used to increase biocomplexity and biodiversity in agriculture. Also included is a chapter on the threat of Drosophila suzukii, an invasive fruit fly that infests ripening fruit, and the prospect of improved control using entomovectoring. Another chapter discusses the prospect of using a species of fungus gnat as a potential vector of microbial control agents, to suppress pathogens that they also spread. A wide variety of crops are covered, including apples, strawberries, coffee, and sunflowers.
The book describes studies on use of entomovectoring in both open fields and greenhouse settings. Another case study reviews the use of a commercial biofungicide via entomovectoring, to combat storage rot diseases in apples. Coverage also includes Flying Doctors, a precision pollination system that uses pre-collected pollen delivered by bumble bees to replace artificial pollination via dusting or phytohormones.
Entomovectoring for Precision Biocontrol and Enhanced Pollination of Crops benefits graduate-level students in agriculture, plant pathology and entomology, as well as academics, researchers, working horticulturists and apiculturists, and those involved in formulating agricultural policy and regulations.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Entomovectoring for Precision Biocontrol and Enhanced Pollination of Crops
Peter G. Kevan
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-18917-4
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-18916-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-18919-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-18917-4
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 277
- Number of Illustrations 24 b/w illustrations, 78 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site