Table of contents
About this book
This comprehensive, multi-authored book covers all aspects of surgery on obese patients in emergency conditions.
Obesity is a metabolic disease affecting a high percentage of world population.. It involves marked anthropometric changes, affecting surgical practice and altering patients’ ability to react to surgical stress. The prevalent comorbidities also affect the rate of complications and mortality after surgery. The obesity paradox, the ability of obese patients to survive emergency operations in spite of an increased risk of complications, is an effect of the widespread development of “Obesity Science”. This volume discusses this science, examining the frailty of the obese patients and the main comorbidities that affect clinical practice, as well as the most frequent emergency situations after trauma, inflammatory diseases and the complications of bariatric surgery.
With contributions from leading experts, it provides clinicians with detailed and updated information for better practice in this emerging field of surgery.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Emergency Surgery in Obese Patients
- Book Subtitle Foreword by Paolo De Paolis
- Series Title Updates in Surgery
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-17305-0
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-17304-3
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-17305-0
- Series ISSN 2280-9848
- Series E-ISSN 2281-0854
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVIII, 197
- Number of Illustrations 5 b/w illustrations, 12 illustrations in colour
- Buy this book on publisher's site
“This book is helpful for surgeons, intensivists, and emergency medicine providers encountering unfamiliar patients with acute problems. … This book highlights some of the unique problems in patients receiving weight reduction surgery or presenting with untreated obesity to the emergency department with traditional acute surgical complications.” (David J. Dries, Doody's Book Reviews, May 22, 2020)