Table of contents
About this book
This anthology aims to present the fundamental philosophical issues and tools required by the reflection within and upon geography and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) . It is an introduction to the philosophy for GIScience from an analytical perspective, which looks at GIS with a specific focus on its fundamental and most general concepts and distinctions.
The first part of the book is devoted to explore some of the main philosophical questions arising from GIS and GIScience, which include, among others, investigations in ontology, epistemology, linguistics and geometrical modeling. The second part concerns issues related to spatial and cartographical representations of the geographical world. The third part is focused on the ontology of geography, specifically in terms of geographical entities, objects and boundaries. Finally, in the fourth part, the topic of GIS constitutes a starting point for exploring themes such as quantum geography and disorientation, and for defining professional profiles for geographers with competences in GIS environment.
This book on a new and unexplored field of research could be a fundamental point of reference for professional philosophers and geographers interested in the theoretical reflection about the foundational concepts of GIScience. It is also interesting reading material for students (both undergraduates, postgraduates and Ph.D. students) in philosophy, geography, applied ontology, GIScience, geomatics and computer science.
Philosophy of Geographic Information Systems Geo-ontologies Philosophical reflection of GIS Naïve Geography Geographical Identity Qualitative ontology Grounding Geography Geomatics Theory of Spatial Representation Foundational concepts of GIScience Topology Theory of Spatial Location
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title The Philosophy of GIS
- Series Title Springer Geography
- Series Abbreviated Title Springer Geography
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16829-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-16828-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-16831-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-16829-2
- Series ISSN 2194-315X
- Series E-ISSN 2194-3168
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 269
- Number of Illustrations 31 b/w illustrations, 35 illustrations in colour
Geographical Information Systems/Cartography
- Buy this book on publisher's site