About this book
This book discusses the role of grant-making foundations in supporting local communities, and how effective governance can contribute to greater success of the social projects they finance. The book considers the extent to which granting foundations act as social investment banks or strategic philanthropists, and identifies possible areas of evolution and improvement in the granting process of foundations similar to other innovative firms. It seeks to explore the possibility of foundations becoming a reference point in the Third Sector for innovativeness and risk taking.
Giacomo Boesso is Professor of Business Administration at the Department of Economics and Management at the University of Padova, Italy. His research interests include stakeholder theory, strategic corporate social responsibility, and non-profit governance.
Fabrizio Cerbioni is Professor of Accounting at the Department of Economics and Management at the University of Padova, Italy. His research interests include accounting principles, corporate governance, and non-profit governance.
Philanthropy Nonprofit boards Granting Foundations Third Sector corporate governance accountability good governance planning and control reporting budgeting social interventions strategic agents promoters of social change strategic philanthropy professionalism institutional philanthropy solidarity-oriented approach innovation philanthropic profiles idealistic patrons
- Book Title Governance and Strategic Philanthropy in Grant-Making Foundations
- Book Subtitle How to Improve the Effectiveness of Nonprofit Boards
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16357-0
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-16356-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-16359-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-16357-0
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVI, 158
- Number of Illustrations 20 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Governance and Government
Legislative and Executive Politics
Non-Profit Organizations and Public Enterprises
- Buy this book on publisher's site