Table of contents
About this book
This book reviews how the release of the citrus genome facilitates the investigation of ancestral species, the study of their complex biological features, and the genetic basis of agronomic traits of paramount importance for their sustainable cultivation.
The first chapters discuss citrus origin and distribution, and the economic importance and varietal composition of the cultivated species, providing an overview of citrus and related genera genetic resources. The book then describes the role of traditional breeding techniques (for scion and rootstocks) as well as the potential of genomic breeding and innovative protocols for biotechnological approaches. The second part provides essential information on the genus Citrus, the attributes of pure citrus species, genetic admixtures, hybrids and citrus relatives, and on the horticultural classification of cultivated species, varieties and rootstocks. The third part then focuses on the different molecular mechanisms, covering various aspects of citrus biology, including the role of beneficial compounds of citrus fruits. In addition, it examines the molecular responses of citrus to abiotic stresses and to field and post-harvest diseases.
Providing insights gained in recent years, it is a valuable guide for those who are interested in gene discovery, comparative genomics, molecular breeding and new breeding techniques. It is particularly useful for scientists, breeders and students at universities and public sector institutes involved in research for the citrus industry.
Whole genome sequencing Molecular mapping of genes Genetic control of ripening Marker-assisted selection Essential oils in citrus Canker resistance New breeding techniques
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title The Citrus Genome
Stefano La Malfa
- Series Title Compendium of Plant Genomes
- Series Abbreviated Title Compendium Plant Genomes
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-15308-3
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2020
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences Biomedical and Life Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-10799-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-15308-3
- Series ISSN 2199-4781
- Series E-ISSN 2199-479X
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XIV, 294
- Number of Illustrations 5 b/w illustrations, 28 illustrations in colour
Plant Genetics and Genomics
- Buy this book on publisher's site