Table of contents
About this book
This book explores the interconnected ways in which the control of knowledge has become central to the exercise of political, economic, and social power. Building on the work of International Political Economy scholar Susan Strange, this multidisciplinary volume features experts from political science, anthropology, law, criminology, women’s and gender studies, and Science and Technology Studies, who consider how the control of knowledge is shaping our everyday lives. From “weaponised copyright” as a censorship tool, to the battle over control of the internet’s “guts,” to the effects of state surveillance at the Mexico–U.S. border, this book offers a coherent way to understand the nature of power in the twenty-first century.
Blayne Haggart is Associate Professor of Political Science at Brock University, St. Catharines, Canada. A former economist with the Parliament of Canada, his research focuses on intellectual property rights and knowledge governance.
Kathryn Henne holds the Canada Research Chair in Biogovernance, Law and Society at the University of Waterloo, Canada, where she is a fellow of the Balsillie School of International Affairs. She is also Associate Professor at RegNet, the School of Regulation and Global Governance at the Australian National University.
Natasha Tusikov is Assistant Professor of Criminology at York University, Canada. She has also worked as a strategic criminal intelligence analyst and researcher at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Ottawa.
Susan Strange knowledge governance digital age power information policy knowledge structure
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14540-8
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive licence to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-14539-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-14540-8
- Series Print ISSN 2662-2483
- Series Online ISSN 2662-2491
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking