Table of contents
About this book
This edited volume discusses scientific and technological aspects of the history of the oil and gas industry in national and international contexts.
The search for oil for industrial uses began in the nineteenth century, the first drills made in Azerbaijan and the United States. This intense search for a substance to become one of the most important energy sources was, many times, based on skill as well as luck, resulting in knowledge and the development of prospecting and exploration technologies.
The demand for oil improved expertise in geological science, in areas such as micropaleontology, stratigraphy or sedimentology and informed different disciplines such as geophysics. These contributions made possible not only the discovery of new oil fields but also new applications and methods of exploration. Beyond the scientific and technological aspects, an industry that grew to such size impacted the political, economic, social, cultural, environmental and diplomatic issues of history. The book approaches such changes in different scales, countries, areas, and perspectives.
This edited book appeals to researchers, student, practitioners in various fields from geology and geophysics to history. It is further an important resource for professionals in the oil and gas industry.
Petroleum Geology Oil and Gas Exploration Geophysics Oil and Gas Exploitation Historical Geophysics History of Geotechnology Black Gold
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-13880-6
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-13879-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-13880-6
- Series Print ISSN 2520-1379
- Series Online ISSN 2520-1387
- Buy this book on publisher's site