About this book
Leadership of powerful states and organizations is crucial for the success of regional integration projects. This book offers a theoretical model explaining such leadership. By applying the model to eurozone governance and reform, the book combines innovative theorizing on leadership in regional and international affairs with original research on Economic and Monetary Union politics. Six in-depth case studies analyze the (non-)leadership of Germany and EU institutions in eurozone crisis management. Moreover, the book evaluates the eurozone’s leadership record since the outbreak of its crisis and helps readers understand the leadership of collective actors, and the extent to which they can contribute to overcoming crisis and fostering European integration. In particular, the book investigates the under-researched questions of who provided leadership in the eurozone crisis and why, and which conditions are required to achieve successful leadership in the EU.
Magnus G. Schoeller is a researcher at the Centre for European Integration Research (EIF), University of Vienna, Austria, and Research Associate at the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies in Florence, Italy.
regional integration supranational institutions collective actors political leadership leadership vs power types of leadership leadership model rational-choice institutionalism leadership theorizing leadership surplus Economic and Monetary Union Germany super-commissioner eurozone crisis management Eurobonds European Central Bank European Parliament EU politics institutional leadership
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-12704-6
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG, part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-12703-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-12704-6
- Series Print ISSN 2662-5873
- Series Online ISSN 2662-5881
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- Industry Sectors
- Finance, Business & Banking